Could use some work, but this is an English assignment I did.
10 Tips on How to Love Yourself
Loving yourself is a very powerful thing to master. I use the term master because it is something that everybody has struggled with at one point in time, and it is very hard to conquer. Here are some tips on how to overcome the struggle. These are things that have helped me truly appreciate and love who I am today, and even who I was before.
- Be able to love your own company – being able to have fun with yourself and not go absolutely stir crazy from being bored and alone is an awesome feeling. Whether you can just sit there and make funny noises, dance around the house while vacuuming, or binge watching your favorite TV show; being alone is great! Not having to rely on people to entertain you can be powerful. So pick up a book or learn how to build something, you’ll be happy you did! And chances are you won’t find yourself being as bored
- Accept who you are in every way possible – accepting yourself for everything you are is key in self appreciation. Accept your flaws; accept your quirks. They all matter because they all make up the person you are. At times we get frustrated or embarrassed with the things we do or how we act. Don’t. Unless it is something that is mean or deceiving, or something you truly are trying to change. Most of the time though, it’s just you being you!
- Have confidence – self-doubt can get in the way so easily, can’t it? Even if you know the answer to something or you know exactly what you want to do; sometimes there’s that little voice saying “but do you?” or “but can you really?” Confidence can be hard to find, but I encourage everybody to try. It shines through the way you talk, the way you walk, and the effort you put into everyday life.
- Treat yourself – now this is something everybody needs to become comfortable with! And no this doesn’t mean go ahead and become selfish. It means for once do something for yourself without thinking of anybody else. Sounds easy, right? You’d be surprised, especially if you’re a loving and giving person. We get so caught up with life, helping others, and making people happy; which is fine! But what about you? So next time you have the opportunity, treat yourself! Get that food you’ve been craving, go buy that extra tool that you don’t need; go ahead and make that nail appointment! Everyone deserves a chance to take care of themselves.
- Know your worth – how many times do we catch of ourselves thinking things like “I’m not good enough.” It happens, we’re human. But how many times do we say “you CAN do this”, or “you deserve to be happy.” Knowing your self-worth is very vital to all aspects of being happy with yourself.
- Find something that you love to do, and do it! – Passion, skill, talent; we all have something that these words apply to. You may not know what it is yet, but it’s there. When you find a hobby or job that you absolutely enjoy, you really start to become in tune with who you are. It opens up a whole world inside yourself that you didn’t even know you were capable of doing. Taking a random class at your park district or trying something your friend suggested to you is sometimes all it takes. This is why trying new things in life is so important, you learn so much about your ability when you open your mind to the possibilities.
- Be proud – having pride in what you do or how you act can bring you a genuine feeling of self-appreciation. Knowing that because of your efforts that project got done, or because of you sticking behind something you believed in, you conquered it.
- Stop insulting and comparing yourself – you’re amazing! Say it with me, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Unfortunately, we don’t tell ourselves this enough. How many times do you look in the mirror and ridicule yourself? Physically, mentally, even emotionally, we do it every day. In this day and age society is such a cruel environment. Between TV and magazines telling you how to look and what’s “attractive”, we can get pretty confused. Even if we feel beautiful or attractive, we don’t see it when we look in the mirror. But I’ll tell you this, you’re fine! If you’re healthy and happy you should feel great! So do it. I challenge you. Next time you go to compare yourself to some photo shopped celebrity or insult yourself in the mirror, take a step back and compliment yourself. Remember, you’re amazing just the way you are.
- Be true to yourself (no lying!) – It’s too often in this day and age that we catch people or even ourselves pretending to be somebody we’re not. This is such a cruel act to commit because on the path of attempting to be somebody else, you take the chance of losing who you are. If you like something, then like it! Just because it’s not the “in” thing doesn’t mean it’s not okay. Enjoy who you are and what you like because in the end that is what you can always count on.
- Set goals and meet them – what’s better than checking off items on your to-do list? Or telling yourself you will get something done and actually doing it. It is always a rewarding feeling, even if it is just doing the dishes. Big or small, short or long term, goals matter. When you have a visible list of what needs to be done there is a bigger chance of accomplishing it. And as human beings, being productive is a huge stress reliever and confidence booster!